Wednesday, June 29, 2011

You'll Like It Here (Everybody Does) by Ruth White


When I'm reading I love a really good surprise - and this book has one. You don't have to wait until the end; it's right at the beginning and I can't give it away.

As our story opens, Meggie Blue and her family seem quite ordinary. Actually the whole family seems a little back-to-earth, old hippie-like; but, hey, that's normal for some people. There are a few strange people . . . and strange events . . .and strange ideas . . . but not too strange. Except for the electric blue hair. Then something happens and quite suddenly, the Blue family needs to go somewhere else. I know I'm being very vague, but I don't want to spoil the surprise. Really.

The author of You'll Like It Here (Everybody Does) is Ruth White. You may remember another book she wrote, Belle Prater's Boy, which was a Newbery Honor book. This is a very different story.

Surprise!